Suspected Bondi Beach Gunmen Acted Alone and Received No Training in the Philippines, Police Confirm.
The two alleged gunmen responsible for the fatal incident at a Hanukkah gathering on Bondi Beach, resulting in 15 lives, are believed to have acted alone, according to Australian police.
Investigators additionally revealed that Sajid Akram, 50, and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram, 24, travelled to the Philippines on 1 November. Their itinerary involved arriving in the main city Manila before traveling onward on the day of arrival to Davao City. The father and son flew back to Sydney on 29 November.
No Evidence of Preparation During Trip
Police assert the pair did not receive any type of attack-related training or "organizing" during their time in the Philippines. Preliminary findings from Philippine authorities suggest they "hardly ventured out of" their hotel.
The incident—declared Australia's deadliest mass shooting since 1996—has been officially classified as a act of terrorism.
"We are actively examining the footage," the commissioner said, noting that preliminary assessments suggest that "the alleged offenders are alleged to have operated independently."
National law enforcement Chief Krissy Barrett briefed media on Tuesday that surveillance material tracking the alleged gunmen's activities in the Philippines had been provided to domestic authorities.
"Our investigation shows no evidence to suggest these accused individuals were members of a broader terrorist cell, or were instructed by external parties to carry out an incident," Commissioner Barrett stated.
Yet, the pair were also not necessarily in the Philippines on a leisure trip, the official noted. She stressed that, as the probe is continuing, additional details could emerge.
Ideology and Court Charges
In prior statements, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said it seems both alleged attackers were "influenced by ISIS" beliefs.
During the shooting, Sajid Akram was fatally shot by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—equipped with rifles—are accused of having opened fire on guests at the Jewish festival celebration.
Naveed Akram, who was hospitalised after the attack, has been charged with 59 offences. These include 15 counts of murder and one count of committing a terrorist act. He is expected to appear in court in April.
Travel Particulars
In the aftermath following the attack, border officials in the Philippines reported that the older suspect had entered the country using an Indian passport, while his younger suspect used an Australian passport.
The two had listed the metropolis of Davao as their final destination. Their pre-arranged return flight to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a large city on the eastern side of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest southern island. It is noted that, Islamist fighters have reportedly operate in less developed parts of southern and western Mindanao.